Monday, May 28, 2012

Cinque (Cheen-kway) Terre and Church


On Friday was our excursion to Cinque Terre.  Our bus was leaving at promptly 7 a.m.  OF COURSE we mistake our meeting spot to be Santa Maria Piazza instead of San Marco Plaza and end up literally a few miles from where we were supposed to be.  Luckily, the roomies and I weren’t the only people lost and saw two other girls who helped us!  Then, we got lost again and an elderly Italian woman was kind enough to show us the way to San Marco!  She literally grabbed one of the girl’s arms and dragged her for about five minutes all the way to a bus stop.  ALSO, the wrong place.  By this point we were extremely late and desperate.  We called all of our directors from API begging them to wait for us!  As soon as we sort of understood the direction we needed to be heading, we took off in a sprint. Backpacks bouncing, tennis shoe laces twisting, coming close to twisting our ankles, sweating, hearts racing, yelling at every Italian we saw “San Marco Piazza?” and pointing to ensure ourselves we were traveling in the right direction, we looked like STRAIGHT UP tourists.  Haha NERDS :)  We made it!!!  One bus had already left.  We were so close to being completely left behind!!  Thank the Lord, I owe it all to you God for helping us out every time we cut it so close!!  The three hour bus ride to Cinque Terre was a beautiful ride as well.  We all piled on a boat as soon as we arrived.  The first boat took us to Portovenere where we got to see a beautiful stone church/castle and the most amazing view of the Mediterranean Sea.  (look at pictures below!!!)  For lunch I had the most delicious sandwich EVER.  









Then, our next boat took us to Monterosso.  This boat ride.  OMG.  UNBELIEVABLE.  We sailed smoothly along the deep blue water of the Mediterranean and got to gaze at the Cinque Terre mountains.  I had to keep waking up Shannon (she falls asleep literally whenever there is calming motion) every two seconds so that she could see the beauty!  Haha, it’s so funny she sleeps everywhere and at any presentation!  In Monterosso, we had some free time to roam around and enjoy Cinque Terre’s beaches and small shopping areas.  We enjoyed Cinque Terre’s famous wine at a cute little Ristorante outside and danced with Mickey Mouse legs (tehehe Torri) to the beach.  Then, I got to ride my first train!  It reminded me of Harry Potter!  We had to put our backpacks in the front of us because they told us to be cautious of pick pocketers in train stations.  Our train took us to Manarola where we walked along “Lover’s Lane” to travel to Riomaggiore.  Lover’s lane is a pathway along the coast that is covered in colorful locks and handkerchiefs tied around fences and iron strings that represent “lover’s” commitment and undying love for each other and a wish that it will last for a lifetime.  Very romantic!  Lover’s lane took us to Riomaggiore then we took another train to our last destination La Spezia.  Once we got on our buses back to Florence, Shannon and I fell asleep right away.  Much needed after a long day of hiking and sight seeing.   








When I got back to the apartment, I got to Facetime my Dad and show him around my apartment and I got to see Tucker and Ginger!  Super freaking cool that you can do that from the other side of the world.  I also got to speak to my grandpa Papu, and that was very special.  At nighttime we went out for the first time in Florence!!  A group gathered in the front of the Duomo to start the night off.  We bar/club hopped around until we found our favorite places.  Our first club was called “Twice”.  The roomies and the rest of the gang loved this club because there was lots of dancing!!  I’m telling you it was like Jersey Shore, but ten million times better.  We danced the night away to catchy Italian music and popular American hits.  Shannon and I have been craving to go dancing so this was perfect.  I had the time of my life dancing like obvious American girls with Christin, Torri, and Shannon.  Our last place was an Irish Pub called “The Lion’s Fountain”.  Lots of Americans gathered here.  We started a new phrase “YOFO”.  You’re only in Florence once.  I know…so American, haha.  YOFO!   Our mission was to find one of these "secret underground bakeries" where the bakers begin making their goodies around 3 a.m. and sell them for one Euro to you sort of illegally.  We weren't successful, but we will find one one of these days!




The next morning, we got to sleep in for the first time!  YAHOOOOOOO!  Greatest feeling ever.  The roomies enjoyed a late lunch at our new fave local spot, about twenty meters from our apartment, called Antica Sosta degli Aldobrandini.  There was a student discount and delicious salads!  MMMMM.  After lunch, we all went “grocery shopping” for the first time at a little mini mart also very close to our place.  Lots of favorites and firsts in these beginning days!  Our apartment on Via di Conti is incredibly close to everything.  We are exceptionally lucky!!  After putting up our groceries, we went shopping for the first time in Florence!  SHOPPPPPPPING! J  First, we stopped by the Gelato Festival and enjoyed some music and delicious gelato.  We have been walking past all of the stores for a few days now and it was time.  Time to shop.  I had been eyeing this peachy scarf for a few days and bargained with a lady to knock it down seven Euros!  Success!  We wandered in and out of shops drooling over all of the beautiful shoes, clothes, accessories and art.  Italy is one of the most fashionable places in the world.  There is a Gucci and Chanel museum here!  I have never been super into “labels”, but it will be interesting to find out where those famous names all got started.  Torri and I FINALLY got to see our little friends…the Mickey Mouse toys with the crazy legs that dance.  It’s hard to explain, but these little toys are the funniest thing ever to Torri and I.  Every time we talk about them or imitate them, we cannot breathe because we laugh so hard.  Next, was relaxation time.  We freshened up, and I got to talk to my grandparents Grammy and Pop!!  It was so special to catch up with them and tell them about my time here!  At night, Christin, Shannon, Torri, and I went to a dessert café La Borra and made really good friends with our waitor, Glady.  Glady ended up giving us a free bottle of wine and free chocolate cake!  It’s amazing how much Italians and people all over the world love the friendly Southern ways of Texans.  We had a long discussion about how much we love Texas and how proud we are of Texas’s reputation.  I have never been called out so many times for using the word “y’all”.  It is so naturally accepted down South that it is part of our vocabulary.  I love it!  Some of the girls on our API trip from up North (Wisconsin and Minnesota, etc.) told us that they think Texans talk more proper and sophisticated than people up north.  Fun fact!



Sunday, was an all around feel good day.  I got the girls to get up early and come to Catholic Church with me.  On our way, we stopped at a little Caffe and all enjoyed our first cup of espresso!  Espresso is popular in Italy and is frequently ordered at all times of the day here.  I got stuck in the bathroom and the motion sensor light went off, so I was trapped in pitch-black darkness for a bit.  Haha.  We went to a 10:30 service at Church of the Hospital of San Giovanni Di Dio.  What a special, beautiful service.  It was completely spoken in Italian, but since the Catholic Church is the same all over the world, I understood exactly what was going on and what to do.  The church was one of the most beautifully decorated and architected churches I’ve ever been to in my life.  I couldn’t help but look up at the ceiling and all over the walls to admire its splendor.  On the way home, the roomies all bargained to get a good deal on these blue “Italia” baseball caps.  Our first true tourist purchase, hehe.  Once we got home, I ventured on my first run throughout Florence.  It was nice to finally have some true alone time and to do one of my favorite things, run.  I played my “Half Marathon” playlist with inspiring running music and took off towards the Ponte Vecchio.  I ran up and down along the river, Fiume Arno, and dodged between the tourists.  It is somewhat a difficult task because I was literally the only person jogging, but I was liberated and free!  When I arrived back to the apartment, the roomies and I enjoyed some sunshine and tunes on our rooftop terrace.  We spent the rest of the afternoon planning a special surprise, which y’all should see very soon!  Then, I got to Facetime my whole family and doggies!!  Unfortunately Michael had work so he was missing L Then, for dinner, the roomies prepared a homemade salad with zucchini, carrots, and tomatoes and spaghetti with meat sauce.  We gathered around our table on our rooftop terrace at sunset and enjoyed conversations about Shutter Island, weird dreams, Christin’s “people”, family, etc.  This summer is going to be so much fun becoming even closer with Torri and Christin.  I love them so much!!!  I finished the night off with a skype call with my little favorite DG partner Seth!!  I miss you so much!  Shout to Camp Garcia J Tomorrow is my first day of Wine and Food Pairing class at Lorenzo de Medici…so esssssitedddd!





Tanto Amore,
Diane

3 comments:

  1. LOVE it Diane! Keep posting! I literally drool at all thee pretty pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks kate!!! i'm so happy you are enjoying it!! i am having the time of my life!

      Delete
  2. DITTO! I'm so jealous of all the cool things you are seeing/doing! love and miss you Diane!!!

    ReplyDelete